“Seeing the multitude, he opened his mouth and taught them saying…” ( Matthew 5:1).
In the closing remarks of His first public sermon, Jesus said, “Whosoever heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man which built his house upon a rock. But, whosoever heareth these sayings of mine and doth them not shall be as a foolish man which builds his house upon the sand… When the rains came, and when the floods and winds beat upon the house, it fell… (Matthew 7:24-26)
Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision. Hearing the word, but not giving the appropriate response.
Spiritual deafness, like physical deafness, affects our ability to respond in obedience to God’s word. If we cannot hear, we cannot respond.
May God heal our deafness.
As a pastor, it is my responsibility to Preach and Teach the Word of God. “Not with enticing words of man’s wisdom–lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect–but in the demonstration of the Spirit and power. That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
My assignment, therefore, is to emphasize, with all diligence, the importance of Obedience to “The Word of God.
Behold! To obey is better than to sacrifice…(1 Samuel15:22).
And, “Repentance is never a substitute for obedience.”
- The Bible says, God Is Not A Man –He Cannot Lie (Numbers23:19).
- “Be ye Doers of The Word and not Hearers only. (James 1:22).
- Also, Hebrews 6:18. reminds us that “It is impossible for God to lie.” Therefore whenever he speaks, obedience is the only expected response.
- In His closing remarks, of his first sermon– “The Sermon On The Mount” Jesus declared “Whosoever heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock” (Matthew 7:24).
- In response to a gracious compliment from a woman in the crowd, Jesus said, “Yea rather, blessed are they that Hear The Word and keep it. (Luke 11:27,28).
- Also, at the wedding feast in Cana of Galilee, Mary the mother of Jesus said to the servants, “Whatsoever He saith unto you, do it.” (John 2:5).
- Again In James 1:22, the Bible says, “Be Ye Doers of the Word, and Not Hearers Only…”
- Finally, In the book of Revelation, John said–“I heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet saying, “I Am Alpha and Omega, The First and The Last…He That Hath An Ear, Let Him Hear What The Spirit Saith Unto The Churches. (Revelation 1:11, 2:11,17,29, 3:6,13,22).